Well... a Case Study.
This isn't going to be so much a blog as a case study. A design friend of mine thought it might be interesting to add something on the site about the process of putting a magazine together from scratch, seen as how it is something I've done in the past with my own golf publication.
So, using Eat Golf Magazine as an example, I will gradually fill out this space with some of the ups and downs myself and business partner Michael went through to get our own project off the ground.
A lot of material from the early editions was lost due to a hard drive failure, but I'll do my best to use relevant examples, and try to keep things interesting!
What's in a name?
Once we had made the decision to produce our own golf magazine, one of the first tasks was to come up with a name and style for our brand. We had both created many brands for other companies before, but the realisation that whatever we decided on would become an integral part of who we are, and how we would be perceived and received by readers and advertisers was a big deal.
I think this process, more than any other in my career, has had the largest influence on my ability to create successful branding. I now have a much greater understanding of how important it is for the client to connect with it as much as the target audience.
In essence the magazine was going to be made for people who were all consumed with golf, and our research showed that pretty much summed up 90% of golfers! So we offered up four relevant names to a focus group and Eat Golf! came out on top.
Being a new magazine we also felt a strap-line would be useful to set out our manifesto, and this would sit directly below the masthead:
"Nutritional Information: Digest news, reviews, fashion & interviews in the most stylish magazine designed to feed your golfing appetite."
The logo itself was not only to designed to be bold and eye catching, but to suggest something forward thinking and modern. It also needed to be versatile, as we wanted each edition to follow a different colour scheme.
The first true litmus test was selling the concept to the advertisers. Armed with just a mock-up front cover and a couple of sample inside spreads the reaction was very positive - and our back page was almost immediately sold to a client who stayed with us for many issues.
Style. But not over substance.